View Single Post
Old 09-18-2004   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJedi
Now the penalty was an armbar, and it seems to me that he was a victim of the NFL's crackdown on DB's making contact w/ WR's beyond 5 yards. I thought it should have been a 5 yard illeagal contact penalty, am I wrong? Last year the Patriots get praised for the same play against the Colts.
I thought Dunta got ripped on that call, because he would've batted the ball down whether he used the arm bar or not. OK, he did use the arm bar, but I'm saying that it didn't actually effect the play. He was in between the receiver and the ball (horizontally in between), and he batted the ball down with the other arm that he wasn't using to make the arm bar. It should have been a 5 yard penalty or a no call. Furthermore, the arm bar itself was not exactly a blatant act in the first place. So for half-way accidentally making arm contact with a receiver that he already had blocked out from the ball in the first place (the pass was underthrown some), he gets like a 40 something yard penalty. Yeah, that's real fair. I think the refs might have been picking on the rookie too. Oh, well. He'll learn not to do that.

Bye the way, the refs have been too hard on the CB's and making too many big penalty calls on them for many years now. I hate to see them get tougher. Too many plays are just bomb passes fishing for a penalty. Penalties should not be huge chunks of the field and be game breakers. The players should decide who wins the game. I say Carr needs to throw up more bombs, because some of them will land on yellow flags.

Last edited by HJam72; 09-18-2004 at 09:08 PM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote