View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan

Let's compare that to the "later" draft methods of the Texans

Hill DL 3rd 2002
Howard 6th 2002
Miller 7th 2002
Wright 6th 2003

None of these guys with the Texan or on the practice squad in 2003 nor were in the Texans training camp in 2004.

Either the theory is wrong or the texans evauation process of DLmen needs work.
Robinson was widely regarded a better player than Wilfork.
I'm not really in disagreement with your post, but I just think that people read way too much into our 'trends' when it comes to things like drafting as a one and two year expansion team. We will not draft the same way as a mature team as we do as an expansion team. I also think that when you chart trends that this doesn't carry over to other aspects of the team such as offensive and defensive play calling. I really do not think it is fair to sum up the teams philosophy as it builds it's core stock of players. A clearer view of how we will draft long term will probably be seen from here on out now that we have a core built and in place.

...and to answer the thread title question...

Yes, I think that Sears, Deloach, Ioane are good enough to back up Smith, Payne and Walker. Personally I feel it takes several years to develop two-gap skills (beating an NFL double team is one of the hardest transitions for a lineman from college to the NFL) and our reserves have all had a few years to develop their games. Young linemen do not generally do that well in two-gap systems early in their careers.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote