View Single Post
Old 09-04-2004   #26
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL. The Colts, Titans, and Jags have some outstanding players on their rosters. Many have stated that the Texans must stay healthy and avoid injuries to compete. That’s true. But what I do like about this division is that these other teams have the same problems regarding defensive depth that the Texans have. Take a look at the backup Colt DBs, Titan LB reserves, or the 2nd team Jag line. Heck, the Jags need to be concerned about who they’ll start at DE.

And I like the depth the Texans now have on offense. Todd Washington & Marcus Spears are as solid veteran reserve O-linemen as any team has. A far cry from what the team had 2 years ago. How can you not be excited about the depth the Texans have at WR? I don’t know how many snaps each guy will get, but I’ll bet that Derik Armstrong gets his share this season. I love the attitude that Mark Bruener brings to this unit. I didn’t realize he had this much game left and he’s the perfect compliment to Miller at TE (and he takes some of the sting out of the Joppru injury). Tony Hollings has made significant progress at RB over the course of the preseason. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, pick up the blitz, and most importantly, hold on to the ball. Hollings is looking like a NFL back and combined with the improved play of Jonathan Wells (Really?) the Texans can survive a week or 2 without DD.

Tony Banks has had a rough preseason. So what? He played so poorly in the Dallas camp a few years ago, they cut him and went with a dope smoking rookie at starting QB. That wasn’t the end of Banks career and he’ll bounce back from these performances as well. Chris Palmer can put in a game plan where Tony can be successful. I’ll still take Banks over half the reserve QBs in this league.

Every year there are a couple of teams that rise up from the NFL’s downtrodden to make the playoffs. Why not the Texans? They’ve got the up & coming star triplets in Carr-Davis-Johnson. They have the defensive genius head coach who’s taken a new team to the playoffs a year ahead of schedule. They have one of the best homefield advantages in the NFL. I see the Texans at 7-6 heading into the Windy City on 12/19. If the Texans can sweep the final 3 games against the Bears, Jags, & Browns, I think they’re playoff bound. I think this offense will be among the best by the end of the season, and guys like Walker, Payne, and Glenn will do what it takes to stay on the field.

Houston Texans 10-6, 6th seed in the AFC playoffs.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote