View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Assuming Joppru and Baxter are fully healed, I think you've got it pretty much nailed.

The biggest battle will be at WR. I wouldn't say Derick Armstrong is a lock, but he'll really have to regress to not make the 53. You never know what might happen in camp, I thought Avion Black would make the team last year too. That 5th WR spot will be interesting as there are a host of guys shooting for one slot (assuming Armstrong is #4) and whether that position is even open will be influenced by what happens in the special teams/return game. If Duff, or anyone else shows anything on returns, it will be hard for JJ to hold off guys like Dugans, Sloan, and the NFLE guys.

Baxter is an interesting case. He could end up replacing Mack as the short yardage back and play FB. He played his first year at FB but he seems to be a better fit at heavy RB than at FB. He's a good runner and can catch out of the backfield but he is nowhere near the blocker that Norris is. Conversely, Norris is not nearly as effective as a runner/pass catcher out of the backfield as Baxter. They kept 4 RBs and 2 FBs last year so Wells may luck out one more year. I think I'd rather see Baxter at #3 RB instead of Wells.

They'll keep at least 9 OLs so it will be a battle between Powell, Dawson, Silvers and Jones for that slot.

They kept 3 TEs last year so Holloway could be on the hot seat provided Joppy returns fully healed and they don't carry 4.

On the other side of the ball, the defensive secondary is where the biggest battles (besides WR) will be in camp with Duff, Earl, and Lord trying to win one of the few precious slots.

One thing that's obvious. We have a helluva lot more depth this year than the last two years.

Last edited by aj.; 05-10-2004 at 09:16 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote