View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004   #8
dredge
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
He's making a case for the backup kick returner, but he's not the guy to field kicks all year long. Starling is tentative running into the wedge. And his upright running style is great for speed but he's going to take some huge hits.

Not too bad for his first real shot at returning kicks. He will get better as he gets more practice. With the same return average as JJ, we can stand to let him develop now. I know this is the preseason, and it may be tougher for him when the season begins, but I believe he will get better as he gets more opportunities.

He never had a chance to make a tackle from what I saw, except for the last punt where he flew by the receiver. Everytime they fielded the punt, Starling was in their face forcing a fair catch. He beat his man off the line and down the field on every punt I saw. CC seemed very impressed w/him when they interviewed him in the booth. He mentioned thtat he didn't cover kicks in college and he would get better. You can't teach speed and hustle, but you can teach tackling and how to get in better position.
How many times has JJ helped on special teams? He has more to offer than JJ at this point, and he will only get better as he is allowed to develop.
JJ's only value is as a return man, and he has to be head and shoulders above everyone else this year to keep that spot.

Last edited by dredge; 08-28-2004 at 02:12 PM.
dredge is offline   Reply With Quote