View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 164415 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to know why he was driving with his license suspended. Was he just blowing off that particular part of his DWI or was there any kind of legitimate reason why he was driving. Once I know the answer to that I know all I need to know about whether Marcus needs to be here.

Generally the suspended license part of a DWI gets covered with a permit allowing you to drive to work and during daylight hours (or during a restricted number of hours during the day) for things like groceries, doctors appointments, stuff you have to do. I understand that and I'm for that. If Marcus was a doing something that's explainable and went a bit past his time then no problem. If he was doing as he pleased, when he pleased then he learned nothing from his DWI experience and I don't want him here (like what I want makes any difference here).

On the DWI thing I've got one thing to say. You've got two kinds of DWI's out there IMO. A number of them are people who made one mistake. They're not drunken monsters out looking for babies to run over and they learn from what happens to them after they get this DWI. Thankfully, hopefully nobody gets hurt in the process. People make mistakes. That's life. If they learn from it and never do it again then I have no problem them.

I know one person who is otherwise a very good person in every respect. He made one mistake one night and got a DWI. It doesn't make him a bad person all of a sudden and the lesson is learned. I feel safe saying you'll never catch him driving after too much to drink again. I'm glad he didn't hurt anybody of course but I'm not going to continue to hold his offense against him either because he's straightened up his act 100%. I'd apply that same thing to Coleman if he demonstrates that he's pulled his head out of his posterior.

The second group are people who don't learn. They're going to drink and they're going to drive and no matter how many times they get caught they'll do it again. It's their S.O.P. and someday I hope that we can find a way to keep them from getting behind the wheel. Until then they need to be kept behind bars because they're just as dangerous as any killer.

Did Marcus learn or didn't he? That's what I want to know.