View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014   #376
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I had a direct ancestor who married an Indian Woman from a civilized Chickasaw tribe in 1725. Unfortunately, I don't have a name for my 13th great grandmother who makes me 1/2064th Native American.
I am a Native Texan also, my ancestors migrated to Texas in 1840. My great grandfather was a cattle rancher in central Texas and married a Cherokee woman who was my great grandmother. I think I even posted pictures of them in this thread somewhere. Regardless, that has little to do with this topic.

I remember being offended in the mid 90's when the Confederate flag became offensive and it started being demonized. I grew up being proud of being a decedent of Texas Confederate veterans and was always fascinated with that war. I was even a re-enactor for a few years and had the Confederate flag on many things like my car, etc. The thought that it was offensive to black people never crossed my mind. Anyway, come to find out many black people see that flag and think of the Klan, etc. I had to learn to respect that back then.

Times change. My grandmother just passed away a few months ago at the age of 92. To the day she died she called black people "niggras". That word at one time was acceptable with her generation. There is no denying that our generation shouldn't be using that word today.

Yvette is telling you as a Native American that the word redskin is a slur and shouldn't be used. Just learn to respect that, the way I had to learn to respect that many black people don't like the Confederate flag. I could have insisted that black people shouldn't be offended by the Confederate flag however that wouldn't change the fact that it still offends them.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote