View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014   #594
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
(on quarterbacks coach George Godsey’s ability to teach Tom Savage) “George is an excellent football coach. He’s a very, very bright guy. He’s a quick-minded guy. He’s a competitive guy and he loves to coach quarterbacks. So he’s with these guys all the time and I meet with them sometimes but he meets with them most of the time and he does a really good job of understanding that each one of those guys is at a different stage in their career. One guy is a rookie, one guy is in his second year, one guy is in his tenth year. So he’s able to reach all three of them in different ways and I think they’ve enjoyed being coached by him and they like our system. So George and I really love our offensive system so we enjoy coaching that and teaching that and George has done a really good job with all of those guys.”

(on his history with George Godsey) “Well, I coached him and when I coached him he was a really bright guy. He was the type of guy that you could signal in a play to him and half way through the signal he already knew the play, he knew the rest of the play because he had memorized the gameplan. He knew what was so he could turn into the huddle and call the play. He was just a really bright guy and then when he was done he played in the arena league for, I think a couple seasons, and then he played in the Arena D-League or B-League or some other Arena League and he called me one time and said, ‘What do you think?’ And I said, ‘Well, I think you need to run from the Arena League and decide what you want to do,’ and he wanted to coach and eventually he got hooked up with George O’Leary at Central Florida who he had played for and I had worked for at Georgia Tech and I was able to recommend him to Bill Belichick in New England in 2011. You know, going into that season he came up and was a quality control guy for us there, did a really good job for us the year we went to the Super Bowl and I tried to get him to Penn State but we couldn’t get him to Penn State but that’s a story for another time and then I was able to get him here to Houston, so it was good.”

(on his opinion of George Godsey when he played at Georgia Tech under O’Brien) “You could tell the way he played, the way he thought the game, the way he loved the game, you could tell that he would eventually end up coaching, no doubt about it.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...4-761adaa795b1