View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004   #7
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy73
I have tried with a passing interest to understand just what the heck you are talking about with your "terrific 12" comparisons...
Each team gets 3 first day draft picks each year. After 4 years, you have 12. The next year, you have to pay them real money, or they leave ... like Bradford left GB, McKinney left the Colts, Wong left the Vikings, The Baire left the Titans, etc. These are the only players you don't have to bid on. I believe their production goes a long way to determining how a team will do.

Maybe I should have called them the 'Cheap 12?"
Quote:
...First point of contention; you are a year early with your little break down, but of course you already know that...
You're right. We've only had three drafts. I believe the fact that the Texans have put together a competitive package of '12' is great and worthy of being pointed out. We're a real team.
Quote:
... Second, I would have traded Joppru for Foster on draft day, without even knowing about the injury. Now I would trade him for a 6 pack of warm Schlitz and a half eaten moon pie to anyone who will take his money off our books...
I don't believe this is a fair comment. Foster was a first round draft pick, drafted long before Joppru. Many people would have traded Joppru for Foster that day
Quote:
...Hollings for Tatum Bell? Babin for DJ Williams? Yes please!!
Again, I don't believe your analysis is fair:

- Tatum Bell was drafted with a much earlier pick than Hollings (the Texans didn't use their own 2nd round pick and only used the Raiders 2nd round pick from the end bundle of the supplimental draft); and

- DJ Williams was drafted earlier than Babins
Quote:
... Even comparatively, as much as I like him, Pitts for Portis in a heartbeat! ... I also think it would be fair to include Bailey, since he was traded for one of their magnificent 7 or dirty dozen or 3 wise men, or whatever. Smith and Wade were not in our case.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I feel however, that Pitts is more valuable to the Texans in that:

- we'll get 4 years of quality play at a cap of around $700,000 /yr;
- Portis would not likely have run behind our offensive line the way he did in Denver; and
- RBs generally have short NFL careers, so we had the potential for Pitts to still be with us as we develooped into a contending team.

If the wasn't a selary cap then I'd agree with you.

Quote:
... I also think it would be fair to include Bailey, since he was traded for one of their magnificent 7 or dirty dozen or 3 wise men, or whatever. Smith and Wade were not in our case.
Its all about the Benjamins.

When they traded Portis, I let them include Bell. If you include Bailey then the cap value of the old Portis slot is now huge, in the range of Pitts and Wade (I'm guessing).
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote