View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004   #16
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
I still have several comments/questions.
3) My original question was posed with the idea of rushing an OLB from the 34 alignment. This would mean that the OG would have to "pull" in order to get sufficently outside to reach the DE or OLB. By pulling, I mean he might also "drop back" sufficently to pick up his block, if the QB would roll slightly to his right. Either way, a strong, fast rusher would have the advantage over a much slower OG.
4) In my scenerio above, the C would take on the NT, maybe with help from the RG. Anyhow, with the OG pulling out to reach his blocking assignment on the OLB/DE, this creates a huge hole for an ILB blitz. And this creates the necessity for the ROG taking on the NT one on one, with the C blocking on the ILB.
5) The situation as descibed in (4) means if you have a NT of the caliber of Wilfork or Sopoaga, who are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to block one on one, then you have extremely effective pressure up the middle.
6) If the OG does not pull, then the OLB is left one on one with the FB or HB.

Does any of this make sense? It just seems to me that when you rush an OLB from a traditional 43 alignment, you are simply giving the offense better blocking angles.
I think that essentially what happens is that when there ISN'T a blitz, in a 3-4, usually the three defensive linemen are rushing, along with a LB, usually one of the OLB (of course, they could send both OLBs and drop a DL into coverage, or drop both OLB in coverage and rush one of the interior LB). If more than 4 are rushing, then its a blitz. In a 4-3, if its not a blitz, then its the four DLs rushing, fairly predictable. In a 3-4, even when you don't blitz, its more unpredictable, becuase you don't know who will be the 4th rusher.

Essentially, the center blocks the NT, the tackles block the ends and the guards are available to double-team. Once the OLB rushes, the offensive tackle 'passes off' the DE to the guard and he slides out to block the OLB. Now only the guard on the other side is available to double team.

Obviously, there are millions of variations, but the tackle would not intentionally leave the rushing OLB for a FB, or RB. They need to be available for a 5th or 6th rush from a blitzer.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote