View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 7.256: Lonnie Ballentine S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I take it the drug testing is over with.
Not sure what you're hinting at but I know of nothing on Ballentine and drugs. Here is a very lengthy bio article if any interested. http://www.localmemphis.com/story/d/...OUeuOT3XBJ8oHQ

Quote:
Ballentine’s transition into the Fuente Era turned out to be successful as far as the numbers and statistics go, but there is another transition in his life that deserves some recognition. At the tender age of 20, Ballentine is a husband and father of two beautiful girls. In this day and time, the last thing on a young man’s mind is marriage. So what prompted Ballentine to make such a monumental step? He credits his support system for helping him. “I had children and I really loved her (Brittany,) so I didn’t see why not,”said Ballentine. “It has paid off in the long run. I’m happy with who I’m with, and my girls are happy.” As a mother, Smith has taken notice of her son’s dedication to taking care of his family. In fact, she applauds it. “I am so proud of him, but it still goes back to the support system and the atmosphere that he grew up in,” Smith explains. “He has always grew up around good people, good role models. Even when he was at Word of Faith Christian Academy (Kindergarten-Elementary), he still had the older guys to look after him.” Smith appreciates the role models that his coaches in middle school and high school have been to him, and she acknowledges their presence in his life. However, she credits his father, Lonnie Ballentine, on helping him assume his responsibilities as a father. “For him to transition into being a father, it wasn’t hard,” Smith said. “His father has been there for him and been supportive of him; so looking at him take responsibilities for his actions at 16, I’m very proud of him.” Smith says that he could have taken the easier route, and left to go play with Coach Saban at Alabama but that wasn’t in his heart.

“If he would have taken that choice, then we wouldn’t even be hoping and praying that oh he might get drafted or he might, we’ll be talking about top five pick right about now,” Smith said with certainty. “Instead, he took the hard road and said I’m going to come back, I’m going to take care of my little girl, I’m going to take care of my wife; then he had another little girl that was born with down syndrome, had heart surgery, had complications and he still got through that adversity, he still went to football practice every day.”

“Every team that was at that Pro Day can tell you that his workout was off the charts.” Ballentine’s numbers at the end of his Pro Day read: 4.3 in the 40, 38” vertical, 18 reps on the bench press, 10.6 broad jump, and 100% beast. Ok, so the last one wasn’t a category but it definitely should have been one when describing the performance and measuring of the 6’3” 220 pound defensive back.

Needs work I know but could tangibles and I will be rooting for this young man.