Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014   #3852
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
True

But if he tears it up on the field next yr and as I said before I don't think he will ever amount to much more than a slightly above avg QB at best, all of his antics/partying will be embraced.

If he does well he will be the NFL's new Layne/Namath with unlimited marketing possibilities. These same things were said about Manziel when he came out of high school about his game translating to college. I like Manziel's brashness and if he plays well the rest of the Browns will follow his lead.

Like I said above I don't think it's going to happen for JM in the NFL, but it should be a fun ride figuring it out. I actually hope I'm wrong and JM succeeds. It would be great for the NFL.
I don't understand the "new Namath" comments that I have seen on this board several times. Layne played in the 50s and Namath in the 60s and 70s. I don't think people will embrace this type of persona today, especially with 24/7 media.