View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014   #319
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It was not an attempt to compare issues, but rather I deflated your assertion of support percentages as a way of justifying a given issue..
You didn't deflate any assertion as you compared dissimilar issues. Strawman much?

Quote:
I found valid comparison, so no additional searching is required. Did you not see the blackface up there? I'm sure you will try to wiggle out of that one, but I do not see much difference.
I don't need to wiggle and you have yet to find a valid comparison. Show me those NAACP chapters signing up to endorse racist names. Show me them naming their school mascots using those names.

Quote:
But I suppose it is okay as long as we ACT like it is "honoring" all Asians.
Here you go again, acting as if the Asian community somehow embraces the term.

Quote:
"The whole issue is so silly to me," says Bob Burns, my wife's father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. "The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

And I definitely don't know how I'll tell the athletes at Wellpinit (Wash.) High School -- where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American -- that the "Redskins" name they wear proudly across their chests is insulting them. Because they have no idea.

"I've talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it," says Tim Ames, the superintendent of Wellpinit schools. "'Redskins' is not an insult to our kids. 'Wagon burners' is an insult. 'Prairie n-----s' is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But 'Redskins' is an honorable name we wear with pride. In fact, I'd like to see somebody come up here and try to change it."
Cached link