View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014   #316
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74774 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
No, as that's nowhere near a valid comparison.

Annenberg didn't change their methodology just for this poll, it was a known limitation of their process. No hidden agenda, nothing nefarious.

The survey completely missed out on 4.5% of the Native American population, almost all of it in Alaska. The Inuit are far more likely to consider the word Eskimo derogatoary than Redksin.
I didn't say that they intentionally changed the methodology. I said that not polling Alaska affected the results. As did only polling land lines (which a majority of Indians living on reservations don't have). As did the poll being 10 years old. I don't feel the same about the issue today as I did in 2004. People change their minds in 10 years. You can surmise that an Alaskan Native is more offended by the term Eskimo than the word Redskin -- but you have no proof, because nobody polled them.

What the man who ran that poll thinks about it:

Quote:
Do you think the issue was well-served in a survey of this size and nature, given all the variables involved regarding Native American identification, say, or lack of access to phones, or levels of disassociation from mainstream culture?

I donít think there was anything wrong with our methodology. All pollsters ask for self-identification on demographics from age to education to ethnicity to religion.... When someone says they are married, you donít ask for a marriage certificate. The question measured whether the respondents cared about the issue. The fault is in the interpretation given the poll by Dan Snyder and others. My answer when first questioned about this by Courtland Milloy of the The Washington Post stands; If you gave a dinner party for 20 and one person left unhappy because of something that was said or served and the other 19 had a jolly time, was your party a success? No, it was a failure.

Are you surprised by the teamís use of the poll?

I am surprised by the longevity of this poll. You donít often see people quoting polls that are nine years old. But itís the main thing that Snyder has to go on.

If you were the owner, would you change the name?

Of course I would change the name! Itís offensiveóabout as offensive as the way the team is playing today. I donít call them by the name they use, I refer to them as the Washington Unmentionables.
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...ge-name-152737
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote