View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014   #312
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Okay...for the sake of clarification I find this offensive. I'd be more offended at this were it happening NOW than I am by stuff done in the 20s and 30s. I can put that in context to where it irks me but I can find it funny. Part of the reason I found The Three Stooges funny (and Abbot and Costello) was because they would occasionally feature black actors/singers in a non stereotypical fashion rather than simply putting white actors in black face for a laugh.
I hope you know that I did not intend or mean for it to offend anyone. It was solely to illustrate a point of caricaturing the culture of an ethnic minority. I know (at least hope) you most likely know my intentions, but just wanted to clarify and make sure we're all good.

I do not think folks that are for keeping the name are bad people in any sort of way. I completely understand their perspectives and most likely would have agreed with them two decades ago. I think a lot of us are a bit calloused and a little insensitive to something that has always existed, so it can be tough to truly be objective about it. Especially when it does not impact me or offend me.

My change of heart over the years is based on principle. I think the disregard for other people's cultures happens with a so-called 'melting pot' society like the U.S. Everything gets melted down to lowest common denominator mentality and we lose sight of the depth and richness of various traditions within each culture and sub-culture. And we can also lose sight of basic ideas like cultural caricatures and how that impacts individuals within those cultures.

Quite a few folks have told me "it's just a word, get over it". My reply is that sure, it's 'just a word', so why do you defend it so passionately? That road goes both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Hmm, an issue that was denying fundamental rights that ended up getting a constitutional amendment vs. a Pro Football franchise name.

You can keep searching for a valid comparison, but I doubt one will be easy to find. This whole thing is fairly unique. It's what makes this issue fun to watch...on both sides.
It was not an attempt to compare issues, but rather I deflated your assertion of support percentages as a way of justifying a given issue.

I found valid comparison, so no additional searching is required. Did you not see the blackface up there? I'm sure you will try to wiggle out of that one, but I do not see much difference.

Why is it okay for you to stereotype Native Americans but not all Asians like below?

Or how about this, which is directly applicable with the term Yellowface:

"Yellowface is another example of the racism prevalent in American culture."

But I suppose it is okay as long as we ACT like it is "honoring" all Asians.