View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014   #254
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 92750 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should the Redskins change their name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
My full blooded grandmother is still alive and she thinks the whole issue is dumb.

And i do consider myself white, they can name the team craker skins for all i really care. The whole point is that everyone gets offended over the littlest things, and people take things way out of context.

Kinda like people who say they dont like the color blue on the wall, well i say dont look at the fing wall then.

Pretty simple IMO, the best way to get rid of rascism is that everyone stop accusing everyone else of it.
I don't think people supporting the name "Redskins" are racists. Most (including Snyder) are sentimental to the name because they grew up Redskins fans and to them it's just the name of their team. The same way many of us had a connection to the Oilers name.

However that said, there is no denying the name is a slur. It is what many whites called Native Americans back in days of the Indian wars.

The "redskin" to most whites back then was the enemy. A threat. They weren't viewed as honorable people, but redskin savages.

I don't think the name was given to the team to honor Indians either. It was more than likely taking the villain mascot approach. "We're the nasty Redskins coming for your scalp!".

To me the name is comparable to "Japs". "Japs" and "Nips" are what Americans labeled the enemy Japanese during WWII. That generation continued using "Japs" and "Nips" to refer to Japanese people. However you couldn't name a team "Japs" nowadays as it's considered slur.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote