Thread: Center Battle
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014   #82
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Center Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
But that is exactly the point, Doc.
Looks like OB wants a good player, not a big body.
If a player can build up his strength by gaining muscle and not losing weight, I'm sure any coach would love it.

Kubiak, on the other hand, didn't necessarily "prefer" small/agile linemen.
Brandon Brooks weighed in at 346 at his pro day.
Kubiak must have been comfortable with that to draft him.
Duane Brown was 315 at the combine, about average or just above average weigh for an OT.
Antoine Caldwell at 309 was "bigger" than 2/3 of the centers started last year in the NFL.
I don't think Kubiak can expect to get a player in with the hope that he can easily trim up just like that.
I understand what you're saying. I am simply trying to point out that "big" on the OL does ideally mean big in the physical and in how the player plays. Caldwell filled the bill, before his ankle problems..........Spencer filled the bill, before his knee was destroyed..........and we all saw how 15 pounds contributed (notwithstanding his foot problem) to Brown's performance. Bigger and stronger and athletic is what OB recognizes as a significant key to success in his system. I expect that the "smaller agile" will fairly quickly fall to the wayside.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote