View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014   #1139
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8663 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just got some disturbing news about A Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I love how you interpret a fine to mean it is a players right to hold out. Why in the hell would they be fining a player if it was their right to hold out? That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Can you read? I did not interpret fine to mean a player has a right to hold out. The simple fact is rights are already yours, they're not given to you by a document. Point blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The bargaining agreement does NOT give a player the RIGHT to breech his contract. It lays out consequences for such breeches.

I do admit that I am not comfortable with the NFL teams being able to terminate player contracts through simple cuts, but that too has been agreed to in the bargaining agreement with the players union. Their (union) contract is more important than the individuals they represent. Bad message.
The CBA does not give anyone any rights to do anything. It's literally the Constitution of the NFL. The constitution is a way of securing them. All corporations have them. It is the bylaws/regulations, or code of conduct if you will. If you know any about a constitution you know it does not give you any rights. The rights are already in existence. If there is no specific language restricting a right, it is in effect by default. There is no specific language saying a player cannot holdout. In fact, there is a specific clause that allows for changes to be made to an agreed upon contract. If you pay attention to the wording it is very clear that NFL contracts are volatile not stationary as many of you seem to think. At the end of the day a player will do what's best for himself (and if that includes happiness and winning etc then it is well within their right use any resources available even if that means a holdout), just as the team will do what's best for themselves (you know like cut a player that signed that sacred contract you guys speak about). All this other BS posters such as yourself are posting about "loyalty, honor, do it for the team" is for the birds. This is a business.

Last edited by cbs1507; 06-17-2014 at 11:47 AM.