View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014   #1400
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Snipped, worth reading...

O'Brien... utilizes gruff gift of gab to mold players as well as team
Quote:
O'Brien has been a Texan for five months. He has overhauled the coaching staff, turned an unyielding belief of team-first into a rebuilding squad's 2014 mantra, endured Johnny Manziel-mania to emerge from the draft with Clowney and Tom Savage, and based the Texans' intriguing upcoming season around an old-school defense and an unpredictable veteran quarterback.

O'Brien accomplished this while significantly changing the culture of a franchise long accustomed to the temptation of promise and denial of fulfillment.

The biggest takeaways from O'Brien Stage One as the Texans enter their third era since their 2002 inception: He is not Bill Belichick. He's a world removed from Gary Kubiak. He is most definitely his own man.
Quote:
"He has a way - and I know very few people that can do this - but he has a way of tearing you down, poking fun at you and building you back up, all in the same sentence," John Harris said. "It's remarkable."
Quote:
"He gets the message across that everything he does, everything he tells us, is with the intent to win. We've all bought in to that," said Brown, a locker-room and on-field leader. "But he also has a great relationship with the players. He talks to us all as young men and he's very one-on-one, and I like that about him."
Quote:
O'Brien is no flash, all work, pure football. Since January, a team that was too content to be less than great during recent years has gradually taken on the form of its new teacher.

"I just really like his straightforwardness. I appreciate his honesty," said quarterbacks coach George Godsey. "Sometimes it's not what you want to hear. But I think that is the leader that we want. I think for all of us as a coach under him, we've learned a lot."
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote