View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: espn says "Texans: 25th best roster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I think you nailed it pretty good steelb.

A couple of thoughts.

I know everyone and all their kinfolk have been down on #75 since jumpstreet and he was more than culpable considering the results. I'm on record as saying, given the chance, when healthy, he will produce. If one would just stop and look at the entire picture I don't think his future is as grim as most think and would have everyone believe. I base my stance on the what happened in his real world NFL experience of three years. He was a platooning his rookie season. After he won/was awarded the starting position he blew out his patellar tendon. A serious injury. Doc said at the time if he wasn't afforded the opportunity heal fully he could never be expected to return to pre-injury form. We're all aware of the "company drs." willingness to give a player a fit for duty when chances are more than pretty good an IME from a private doctor of his choosing would result in an opinion that Newton was not ready to take the field yet. He just wasn't ready and that was evident in his play. #75 is now fully healed and over the off season lost fat & gained muscle . I don't recall where I heard it (mothership) or read it (again) so I don't have a link but it was reported that he was moving much better, appeared nimble and was quicker on his feet. I hope he plays as well as I think he can. I think he's made the effort to do so. If not then:

I didn't include Williams because I don't think he'll ever see an NFL field. I really hope I'm wrong but with what Doc says along with the research I've done his future in the league just doesn't appear promising. AT ALL.

I truly hope Mercilus can pony up and show us he was/is worthy of his draft status. With more pressure from upfront other than JJ it wouldn't surprise me. Wade seemed like a fair judge of talent. I think this is the year he'll show us that he is an NFL talent and not a "one year wonder" in school. Tarpinian I agree is another one to watch. He stood out several times last season with good, heads up play. I expect to see quite a bit of him this season. O'Brien has highlighted his name as doing well during OTAs before including everyone else and the grounds keepers. Williams appears to be a good find as well from what I've heard and read.

Bottom line is I think this defense can and will play in the league's top ten when they get the scheme down and learn each other during the heat of battle. In the end none of us have anything more to do with it than discuss it amongst ourselves(it's what we do). Bill O'Brien is going to field the best team of players that he possibly can. It's not only in his and the team's best interest, but his job as well.

I'm reservedly optimistic about our Texans this upcoming season but the Kool-Aid and accompanying glasses will remain on the top shelf of the closet.

Agreed about Newton, I'm actually excited to see how much he has/will improve now that he's healthy. Unfortunately I agree with you on B.Williams.

This yr is a put up or shut up yr for Mercilus. Just because he was a 1st rd pick doesn't mean he's a 1st rd talent. I hope he does well.

We have the same outlook on the Texans prospects this season. Top 10 defense and decent QB play = playoffs. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote