View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014   #275
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
When I said that I think that Savage was the #2 QB on their board, I mean that I think that OB identified specific guys that he wanted to work with and develop... and there weren't a lot of them.

I think Bortles was at the top of the list and then I think Savage was #2. I think the list did include ALL the QBs in this draft but I think the order and draft grade on them were very, very different than the way the ESPN/NFLN guys were looking at things.

I think OB was looking at some very specific things, things that were different than what he's said in some places. I think he was looking for big guys with cannon arms who were pretty smart and dedicated to football.

I think that dropped guys like Bridgewater, Manziel, McCarron on OB's list and consequently on Smith's draft board.

I think Smith looked at the list and realized that he could get Savage in the 4th and set up his draft based on that. I also kinda think that they played up interest in guys like Bridgewater and Garropolo as a smoke screen to get people to draft them and push other guys down.

This is simply what I believe based on interpreting a whole bunch of things and I realize it may not have any correspondence to reality at all. But I haven't seen anything to refute it so it's my working hypothesis going forward.
I think something similar. In the past I think they would have taken a more superficial approach. This is smart football...if that's what they were expecting (even if the qb doesn't work out). Nobody really knows outside those doors. Early in the draft as it was going down I was told that they liked Matthews late but that was obvious bs now, so stuff like this (propaganda) is just par for the course. In any case I feel good about this season going fwd. I haven't been this positive about the teams direction for a few years. It's nice.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow