View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014   #274
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Saying Savage was their #2 QB is incredibly vague. It could mean:

1) 2nd best QB of the entire draft.
2) 2nd best QB for OB's system.
3) 2nd QB who was available at a spot they thought was appropriate value for his talent.
4) 2nd QB they were willing to draft at all.
etc.
When I said that I think that Savage was the #2 QB on their board, I mean that I think that OB identified specific guys that he wanted to work with and develop... and there weren't a lot of them.

I think Bortles was at the top of the list and then I think Savage was #2. I think the list did include ALL the QBs in this draft but I think the order and draft grade on them were very, very different than the way the ESPN/NFLN guys were looking at things.

I think OB was looking at some very specific things, things that were different than what he's said in some places. I think he was looking for big guys with cannon arms who were pretty smart and dedicated to football.

I think that dropped guys like Bridgewater, Manziel, McCarron on OB's list and consequently on Smith's draft board.

I think Smith looked at the list and realized that he could get Savage in the 4th and set up his draft based on that. I also kinda think that they played up interest in guys like Bridgewater and Garropolo as a smoke screen to get people to draft them and push other guys down.

This is simply what I believe based on interpreting a whole bunch of things and I realize it may not have any correspondence to reality at all. But I haven't seen anything to refute it so it's my working hypothesis going forward.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.