View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Aldon Smith DUI & Felony Assault Weapon Charges

Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers’ angry evasion of a rationalization of a tired excuse for their handling of Aldon Smith
Quote:
All actions have consequences—for a player, a team, for everybody involved—and right now, the 49ers have no answers for their own actions. Actually, for their inaction.
Harbaugh gets snippy, yelling back and forth, with 49ers beat writer Tim Kawakami...
Quote:
-Q: Aldon Smith was successfully prosecuted on three felony counts and one misdemeanor count. Does he remain a member of this team in full good standing?

-HARBAUGH: Uh, yes.

-Q: So what’s your standard? Is it 10 felony counts the standard? Do you have a standard?

-HARBAUGH: I know you probably worked really hard on asking that question. Probably stared in the mirror and thought about just the way you could [ask] that.

-Q: No, I did not.

-HARBAUGH: There’s a legal process… you’re talking…

-Q: What you said was untrue. It’s wrong.

-HARBAUGH: OK. Well, then you can write your story how you write it. If you want me to answer the question, I’d be glad to.

It’s part of a legal process. I am not an attorney or a judge. I’m a football coach. So I will let that go through the legal process. There’s nothing more that I can add to it. At this time.

-Q: Is he still your starter?

-HARBAUGH: Is he part of this team? Yes.

-Q: Is he your starting linebacker?

-HARBAUGH: We’re too early to tell who the starters are right now.

-Q: He was your starting linebacker two days after he was arrested for DUI last season.

-HARBAUGH: There’s nothing further I can add to that right now.

-Q: Last year at about this time, we were asking you about Seattle’s situation with several of their players having issues with PEDs and you said you wanted your players to be above reproach. I know that was specifically an answer about the PED issue. But do you want you want your players to be above reproach legally, criminally? Is that important to you?

-HARBAUGH: I want our players to strive to be above reproach in all regards. And I can’t imagine that anybody would tell anybody any differently.

I can’t imagine–if it were you, or I, or anybody else here would want their youngsters to strive for anything less. Certainly wouldn’t promote that they strive to be below reproach.

Would you, Tim?

-Q: No.

-HARBAUGH: OK.

-Q: So are all of your players above reproach right now?

-HARBAUGH: No, we’ve got some things we’ve got to resolve. But we are in a process–and always are in a process of striving to be above reproach, yes.

-Q: Is there any negative to a team to have players in trouble. Is that a problem at all for you? Does it take effect on a locker room?

-HARBAUGH: The locker room… you tend to put a lot of things on a locker room. A locker room isn’t an all-encompassing… to take care of all the world’s problems or each individual’s problems.

There’s a process that he’s taking care of individually, that is his accountability, just like all of us.

Anything that we do–if we do things right, there’s going to be consequences. If we do things wrong, there’s going to be consequences for that. All of our actions, there’s consequences, good or bad.

-Q: Practically, he has a sentencing hearing on July 25, which is a few days after you’re set to open training camp. Would he be in training camp to start? Is that the plan?

-HARBAUGH: As I said earlier, there’s really nothing further that I can add to it.

-Q: We do know the hearing is the 25th, that’s a fact. That’s after you start camp. In your mind is he starting camp with pads with everybody else?

-HARBAUGH: I’m not going to get into speculating on what’s going to happen, what could happen, what will happen. There’s nothing really further that I can add to this line of questioning.

You can take bamboo shoots and stick ‘em under my fingernails and there still wouldn’t be any more I could add further to this discussion.

-Q: Has a decision on that been made or will you just not say the decision?

-HARBAUGH: There’s nothing further that I can add right now without speculating. I don’t know why you can’t understand that at this time.

-Q: Is he still here? Is he participating in the off-season program here?

-HARBAUGH: Yes, he’s coming to work. Showing up, he’s working hard, he’s listening, he’s doing what he says he’s going to do. We give him that opportunity, yes.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote