View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014   #589
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
I know it's early and premature.... but I really do love this coaching staff already. Seems like total anti-kubiak/wade
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Agree. A lot of teams tend to take on the personality of the head coach. That's what I'm looking forward to the most: a no-nonsense team that's all about collecting W's.
color me still worried...
disciples of Belichick, over all, have not faired well.
ESPN took a look at their history a while back...

Quote:
How has the Belichick tree done?

ESPN Stats & Information did a study this past week, and the conclusion is this: "They have struggled."

Basically three coaches have gone on to become NFL head coaches after working under Belichick: Crennel, Mangini and Josh McDaniels, whom the Browns are interviewing Saturday.

Crennel had one winning season in five as head coach (four with Cleveland, one with Kansas City). Mangini had also had one winning season in five. McDaniels started 6-0 in Denver but finished 2-8 for an 8-8 mark. He was 3-9 the next season before he was fired.

That is 12 full seasons as head coach for Belichick guys, with one 13-game season. There were two winning seasons, one at .500 and nine losing seasons.

Crennel had a .325 won-lost percentage in his five seasons as coach. He went 26-54 (plus 2-1 as an interim).

Mangini was 33-47. McDaniels finished 11-17.

Combined, they were 72-119, a won-lost percentage of .378.

Charlie Weis, of course, was the third guy in that end-of-Super Bowl hug with Crennel and Belichick in 2005. Crennel went to the Browns and Weis to Notre Dame, where he went 19-6 his first two seasons to garner a lucrative contract extension.

But his final three seasons with the Irish he was 16-21.

In 2012 and 2013 he coached Kansas to 1-11 and 3-9 records. His total won-lost as a head coach: 39-47.

The only member of the Belichick tree to go on and have a winning record was Bill O'Brien, who recently left Penn State for the Houston Texans.

In two years with the Nittany Lions, O'Brien was 15-9.

Add all the records as head coach, including Weis' and O'Brien's in college, and the members of the Belichick tree have gone 126-175 (.419).
Not trying to be a

but this data causes me to temper my enthusiasm. While O'Brien hasn't coached a single game in the NFL, at least he left the college ranks as a winner. So there's that...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote