View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trading future first-round picks: Good to win now, bad to win later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If you need a QB you trade future 1st's. Or if it's a particularly strong draft\like this yrs you can use future picks (Not 1sts) to move up and pick positions of need. For instance, I really like Jaylen Watkins and since he has experience playing CB/FS he could've filled multiple needs. I would've given up a 2015 2nd to trade up and pick him in the bottom of the 3rd.

However that also requires scouting the 2015 draft before the 2014 draft so that you can figure out what the strengths and weakness of the 2015 draft is. Is the 2015 draft strong at the CB/FS position and can you find a 10 yr starter in the 2nd rd?

Also playing into this and probably why the Texans didn't trade future picks is with their current QB situation they were hedging their bets if Savage doesn't look like he's the future they will need the 2nd rd pick to be able to move up and pick their QB in the 2015 draft.
Yeah, they're all GREAT in school this year but will inevitably SUCK next year coming into the league and we're still in the same boat, taking on water...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote