View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014   #127
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61663 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jamies Winston Qb Florida State

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
1) It is much too early to be patting yourself on the back for Bortles. Yeah, he was the first QB picked, but so was Gabbert once.

2) I make my own decisions. I thought TB was better than BB because I thought so, not because others did. Furthermore, by the end,I thought Robinson should have been the pick, not TB.
1. It might have be to early for you but not for me. That's how sure and confident I am of my evaluation. Blaine Gabbert was never the first QB drafted. He was #3 behind Newton and Locker. Like I have tried to explain before, the problem with Gabbert being drafted in the 1st RD has absolutely nothing to do with Gabbert. The problem lies entirely with Jack Del Rio and his very poor evaluation of Gabbert. There was absolutely nothing in Gabbert's college body of work that said, "draft me with the 10th pick in the draft or even the first rd for that matter."

2. Keep digging deeper. If you thought TB was the best QB in this draft you're not digging deep enough. As to your earlier point, everything in his stats and production agree with your decision. When you dig a little deeper, that's not so much the case. Unfortunately, as was the case with so many, Teddy fans didn't want to hear the bad music. They preferred to not listen or just come up with excuses why the music was bad. During the season I noted that TB's 30+ passes had a high trajectory and need a lot of air underneath and his 10-20 yard passes outside the hashes tended to lose their zip. I said at the time that many of those passes would be INTs in the NFL. His Pro Day confirmed both suspicions.

3. I keep saying this time and again, you must find out how a QB performs when the game is on the line and under pressure. Often you have to dig deep to find this information. It's often found in The Box Scores and the drive charts. The info is there if you're willing to do the homework. If a QB has never delivered with a game on the line, take him off your board or move him to day 3. David and Derek Carr and Gabbert never delivered with game on the line. Quinn and Barkley are a few others. They've never been a part of game winning drive. Some have had the negative experience of a failed game winning drive.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote