View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014   #109
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What grade would you give this draft?

Houston Texans

Quote:
1. Jadeveon Clowney, linebacker/end, South Carolina.
33. Xavier Su'a-Filo, guard/tackle, UCLA.
65. C.J. Fiedorowicz, tight end, Iowa.
83. Louis Nix, nose tackle, Notre Dame.
135. Tom Savage, quarterback, Pittsburgh.
177. Jeoffrey Pagan, defensive end, Alabama.
181. Alfred Blue, running back, LSU.
211. Jay Prosch, fullback, Auburn.
216. Dre Hal, cornerback, Vanderbilt.
256. Lonnie Ballentine, safety, Memphis.

Overview: I realize it was just a sixth-round blip on the radar, but the Texans' selection of Auburn lead-blocker Prosch is a strong indication of how this team plans to play until rookie coach Bill O'Brien finds a legitimate quarterback: Houston is going to run the ball with volume and play stout defense. Almost every pick here suits that philosophy. A freakazoid outside pass rusher in Clowney. A two-down toilet clogger in Nix. A hammerhead, lane-clearing fullback in Prosch. A pro-ready blocking tight end in Fiedorowicz. A high-ceiling left guard in Su'a-Filo. Running back depth with Blue. Even Mr. Irrelevant Ballantine is a toolsy safety with starting-caliber measurables. I appreciate teams that pick a defined way to play and make moves in coherent fashion, designing their roster with a purposeful goal in mind. When O'Brien finally finds his signal caller -- and I wouldn't completely rule out big-armed Savage becoming that guy -- this team will ascend quickly.

Grade: A
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote