View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004   #12
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

I still have several comments/questions.
1) Reading up on the 34, my understanding is that the NT lines up over the center (obvious); and the DE's line up on the outside shoulder of the OT's. Filling the gap between the NT and the DE is an ILB. The OLB's line up further outside of the DE's. On the left side, this means he lines up over the TE.
2) Now, I've always thought when one of the OLB's dropped down to come on the rush, the defensive alignment more or less stayed as above, in a 34 alignment. But it seems this may not be the case; Capers may shift into a traditional 43.
3) My original question was posed with the idea of rushing an OLB from the 34 alignment. This would mean that the OG would have to "pull" in order to get sufficently outside to reach the DE or OLB. By pulling, I mean he might also "drop back" sufficently to pick up his block, if the QB would roll slightly to his right. Either way, a strong, fast rusher would have the advantage over a much slower OG.
4) In my scenerio above, the C would take on the NT, maybe with help from the RG. Anyhow, with the OG pulling out to reach his blocking assignment on the OLB/DE, this creates a huge hole for an ILB blitz. And this creates the necessity for the ROG taking on the NT one on one, with the C blocking on the ILB.
5) The situation as descibed in (4) means if you have a NT of the caliber of Wilfork or Sopoaga, who are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to block one on one, then you have extremely effective pressure up the middle.
6) If the OG does not pull, then the OLB is left one on one with the FB or HB.

Does any of this make sense? It just seems to me that when you rush an OLB from a traditional 43 alignment, you are simply giving the offense better blocking angles.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote