View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014   #218
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Excellent point!

I have liked the way the organization has operated as Rick Smith's role has increased- not because they haven't made any personnel mistakes, but because they seem to have a good plan, don't panic, make thoughtful decisions, and have a long term and disciplined view for the organization. I also like the focus on collected compensatory picks, avoiding the free agent frenzy, and the willingness to let veterans go when prudent.

The Ed Reed fiasco was a mistake than many of you saw coming. All organizations make those mistakes on occasion. However, only a dozen organizations would be as quick to recognize and act on that mistake. It is that kind of football-first focus that allows an organization to be successful in the long term. Check out the NFL teams that make football decisions with a weighted concern for PR, or the ones that are stifled with inaction because of uncertainty or internal disagreement. Those are the organizations that will be fortunate to make 1 or 2 playoffs in the next decade.
I'm convinced that was a clear case of McNair playing GM and Smith was along for the ride.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote