View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014   #1138
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't understand the logic here. Yates and Keenum provide no veteran leadership to a young QB, any young QB. If you are planning on having any young QB via draft or trade or one from the roster it makes sense to bring in a vet. I hope Fitz starts a minimal number of games but he does have 77 games starting experience.
I don't consider Mallett a "young" QB anymore. He might not have game experience but I don't consider him someone who needs veteran starter presence. I don't consider TJ or Case guys who need a veteran starter around, either.

I look at it like this. We have two paths we could go. We're either going to get a rookie and develop him or we're going to get a guy with some experience to be our long term starter.

If we're going to draft a rookie who's going to be our eventual starter (either this year or next), then we want a stopgap, veteran QB who can fill in until that rookie is ready. Fitzpatrick is that kind of QB.

If we're going to trade for a guy to be our long term starter (Mallett) who has been in the league for a while, then we don't need a guy like Fitzpatrick, an on-the-edge, almost good enough to be a starter guy.

Now... they could look at it like you apparently do, that Mallett might need a safety net and in that case, they could get both. But for me, that's a sign that they don't really think Mallett is the guy. In that case, I wouldn't even go after him.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote