Thread: Blake Bortles
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014   #1155
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56984 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Do you have any real concerns about Bortles?
Yes I do, (2) matter of fact. I am concerned about his fumbles, he needs to take better care of the football. To Bortles credit most of his fumbles occur when his eyes are down field but the ball still needs to have better security to avoid turnovers. Secondly I am concerned about his INTs. However when you analyze his numbers, his INTs are in the neighborhood of most others. Actually TB has more INTs in his college career. Bortles still maintains almost a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio which is respectable. The thing about the INTs is most come from Bortles trying to force the ball into tight coverage and it's only going to get tighter in the NFL. The bright spot is even with the INTs Bortles doesn't get fazed or rattled and has shown the propensity to recover well. Some say Bortles INTs cost UCF the S Carolina game. A valid argument. I say the halfback pass that ended in a pick six is what cost UCF the game. Regardless Bortles/UCF almost came back to win the game and Bortles showed excellent awareness and ability to avoid Clowney's pressure.

There was also a question of Bortles holding the ball to long and under throwing his WRs on deep patterns. Bortles seems to have answered those questions at his Pro Day throwing several 60 yd passes on a tight trajectory without any extra air underneath. Many of the talking heads at his Pro Day seem to agree.