View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014   #742
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Just trying to get this discussion out of the Swearinger thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I guess you didn't watch many Viking games then. He was more impressive in every way over Hopkins. Plenty of nice plays from scrimmage and for extra credit you can enjoy the rac that Hopkins only dreams about at 2:17 where he takes the pitch lined up as a rb from the I formation and scores. Reality and versitility trumps imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Y9Tee8vbs
I guess it all depends on what you're looking for from your players.

So far, I don't see Cordarrelle Patterson as a WR. That's fine, he was a rookie & normally it takes a while for a rookie to establish himself as a WR.

I am old school & to me, a WR is your deep threats, I want to see 14+ ypc. It doesn't matter to me whether it's YAC, or just catching the ball 14+ yards down the field.

Well, Wes Welker doesn't get a 14+ ypc, never has, & he's clearly a WR...

So clearly there are exceptions to the rule. But I'd never acquire Wes Welker, consistently line him up outside & expect him to stretch the field.

Maybe Patterson can become that type of player, but there aren't a lot of those guys that are successful in the NFL for very long... I wouldn't use a first round pick on them. Darren Sproles & Wes Welker are the only two that I would consider as successful over a long period of time. You've got Percy Harvin & Dexter McCluster, but they've got to put some time in... & I'd really like to see Wes Welker continue his streak outside of New England, because while he was a great role player in Miami, I never thought he would have the success he had, or become that focal point of an offense like he did in New England.

So yeah, if you're looking for a Percy Harvin type football player, Patterson is probably that guy & he had a great rookie season being that guy. But if you're looking for a WR, someone to stretch the field & make the defense honor every blade of grass... DeAndre is much better at that than Percy Harvin (which would be like having a running back with 500 yards receiving... but if we get a healthy Arian back... )