View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014   #1082
Texas Nomad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Texas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
from all i've seen and heard, yates's greatest asset is between his ears ... and that hasnt seemed to have developed as well as many have hoped. he's got a much weaker arm than schaub, and while mobile, doesnt move inside or out of the pocket very well. "size is a talent" as phil simms says, but worthless if there's nothing to it.

dont get me wrong, i'd love to see yates turn it on, but i havent seen any progression at all. if anything i think he's regressed, and lost the mental acumen that made him special.

I'm not sure how one could possibly have a "weaker arm" then Schaub. I would never contend Yates has a rocket but from my observation it's certainly not weaker then Schaub's.
I dont know how much he has developed or digressed because the sample sizes we get are tilted. There was a big debate split between who looked better in preseason between Yates and Keenum last year. I was on the Yates side. The unit as a whole has always looked more energized to me when he is in the game. He has always had a solid connection with Dre and it just appears to me that the offense wants to play for the kid. And most important of all he has shown the ability to stand in a pocket, under control, go through his progressions, is willing, and actually looks to extend the field vertically. Case can play the vertical game but he seems to always be under duress and on the edge of panic.

We pretty much know what your gonna get with Fitz and Case. I dont know if Yates could be a day one starter but I sure would like to see what he might have to offer after a pre-season with real competition and preparation.