View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014   #49
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jim Kelly announces that he has cancer

Some additional facts I've dug up on Kelly's cancer. It appears that the cancer recurrence has been found to be attached to the carotid artery, and is traveling up the Trigeminal nerve. Both of these reflecting that the original surgery left behind cancer. As I've said before, it surprised me that right after the initial surgery, chemo and radiation as an adjunctive therapy were not performed to "clean up" any cancer that may have been left behind (rather than standing on the merits of surgery only (unrealistic for such an empirically aggressive cancer) waiting for an inevitable recurrence (which typically is even more aggressive) . The former structure (carotid artery) is the major blood supply to the face and one side of the brain......cancer invasion of major blood vessels can spread the cancer throughout the body through the blood system. The latter (Trigeminal nerve) is a major cranial sensory nerve that supplies the face......and originates in the brain. Any cancer closely attached to a nerve can spread (metastasize) along the totality of the nerve, in this case, directly to the brain. Since it is a sensory nerve, invasion by cancer, usually creates unbelievable non-relenting and almost impossible to control pain.....at least as severe as Shingles pain. As part of the cancer treatment, it will be hopeful that this pain will be relieved. However, the effects on the pain aspect of this treatment is not expected to take effect immediately. Patients usually respond within 4 to 6 weeks post-treatment. However, some patients require as much as 3 to 8 months for the full response. Most patients remain on full doses of "pain" medication for at least 3 months after treatment.

My heart goes out to Kelly going through what can only be described as Hell.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 04-10-2014 at 05:17 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote