View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well it's hard to judge what a great RT will do for a team or where they come from if they can't be named.

It also illustrates another consideration, not one that bars the pick but something to think about. Two WRs, DEs, LBs, DBs on a team can shine and get limelight. Julio Jones, Houshyourmama and Boldin are names casual fans know. Only the most fanatical fans know who the top RTs are and they essentially never get pro bowl or all pro accolades. A dude taken at 1.1 is going to want that plus it isn't just ego but bonuses are often tied to pro bowls and all pro selections so there is a very real monetary effect.
The casual fan probably can't name the top 5 offensive guards either, doesn't take away how important they can be for a football team. I'm saying the best OT in this draft will help our team, because I feel really good about what we have in Brown, Myers, & Brooks. & I think the best OT in the draft can help our QB, whoever he may be, get the time he needs to do his job. The best OT in the draft can help open holes for Foster & whoever his back up is going to be. The best OT in this draft will give all the receivers more time to get open.

And unlike the best DE in the draft, the best OT gives us depth at the LT position. If Jj Watt goes down, having Clowney isn't going to help us one bit. If Cushing gets hurt, I can see the best ILB taking his spot.

But still, I think the OT will have the biggest impact on our team.... it's not pretty, but this is football.