View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014   #42
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jim Kelly announces that he has cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
Suzzane Somers beat Cancer and she didn't go the Chemotherapy route. I do believe there are many other alternative therapies that one should look into. I hate the word Chemotherapy.

I am very happy for Somer's outcome. She has at least brought attention to the importance of lifestyle (eg., nutrition and excercise). But for those not familiar with all the intricacies of breast cancer, her claims of cure being mainly attributed to her avoidance of chemotherapy and substituting the use "holistic" approaches are very disingenuous and misleading. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001. She had a Stage II cancer diagnosis.............in her specific case, the tumor was confined to the breast, the tumor was ~3cms, and there was NO LYMPH NODE OR DISTANT METASTASIS. She had a lumpectomy to remove the tumor, followed by the maximum allowed radiation therapy to the remainder of her breast. Several of her holistic approaches just simply make natural substitutes for formal treatment (such as bio-edentical hormones for the commercially available hormones). But they have the same implications in the way they act and their risks.

Nonetheless, it is important to understand that if a patient with Stage II breast cancer is treated ONLY with lumpectomy (also referred to as "breast conservation therapy" or BCT) with radiation therapy to that breast, the 10-year breast-cancer-specific survival rates are ~94% for these patients.

Here is a link to the most up-to-date and largest study of patients with breast cancers like Somers.......and their prognosis..........published in January of this year in the Journal of the American Medical Association (Surgery).

In summary, Somers did not require chemotherapy in order to effectively treat her cancer in the first place.

EDIT: I believe that it is important that people understand that Suzanne Somers reluctanctly admitted that she had a lumpectomy and radiation well after presenting the illusion that she had holistic treament or nutrional treatment to treat her cancer. As a surgeon who has at different phases of my career treated hundreds of breast cancer patients surgically for removal and for reconstruction, I feel that Somers has potentially harmed many breast cancer patients by directing them away from well-established, effective, proven treatments.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 04-06-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Additional comments
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote