View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014   #30
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 102617 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish
Default Re: Why is Derek Newton Still a Texan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Where is this number coming from? Newton signed a 4 year, $2.1 million deal as a rookie in 2011. This is the last year of his contract at $645,000. Newton made an additional $175k in "performance pay" last year. No, I'm not joking.

The Texans would take a dead money cap hit of about $15k ($60k/4) with a net savings of about 630k if Newton is released. Not much there. The Texans haven't signed any OTs, and the draft is still a month away. No need to make that move now. And as BigBull suggests, the Texans may want to look at Newton at guard.
Seems hard to believe he would have made any performance incentives. I understand the money aspect of it, but you get what you pay for so why would you keep a guy just because he is cheap? If he can't play, then who cares if he is cheap? Lot's of other terrible, cheap players available. A bird in the hand?

Now using him at guard makes more sense although, guard play was not as much of a problem as the RT play. Having Newton as depth at right guard might be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Basically, it is cheap to keep him, nothing more, nothing less.
Yes I get it, but as I said above, why keep a player who cannot play just because he is cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I don't know what to think of newton. I saw some things technique wise that made me question John Benton as a line coach. Guys making the same mistakes over and over. Seems like the line got progressively worse under him.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Two things:

1. We are probably drafting a RT and therefor Newton will be only depth

And

2. Maybe he was never suited for the ZBS and that was why he failed miserably?
Ok, but ZBS has nothing to do with pass protection right? I was not complaining about his ability to run block even though he was terrible at that also, I was specifically talking about pass protection. If Newton is playing for the Texans in 2014, I don't care who is back there. They are going to face constant pressure on the right side. Hopefully O'Brien is better at giving help to someone who is getting burned over and over if Newton remains a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
dumbness.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote