View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014   #39
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jim Kelly announces that he has cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I've been avoiding this thread like the plague. Sometimes you just don't want to see bad news. Jim Kelly was one of my hero's back in the day. Not only because of his exploits on the field - but even more for the role model he was off of it. This breaks my heart. Thoughts and prayers for Jim Kelly.

And if we can get real for a second and sorry in advance for the sex talk but this is important - Doc, you mentioned this has likely causation with oral sex with a female. I would venture to guess most of us have done that on multiple occasions. Not me of course, but I'm asking for a friend lol. What is the risk of getting this kind of cancer from performing oral sex on a female? Is it a very low thing or should "my friend" be worried.
Scooter,

Rather than pulling a complicated medical literature resource, I tried to find an article that would be readable and comprehensible to your friend. This should answer his questions.

Can oral sex give you cancer?

Add to the article........newly discovered esophageal cancer link, which also makes sense since the swallowing tube is an extension of the oral cavity. People with the HPV virus had a threefold increased risk of developing esophageal cancer than those not infected, according to a study led by researchers at the University of New South Wales in Australia.

Keep in mind, the reason that HPV-associated oral and esophageal cancers have notoriously had extremely poor prognosis is that you can't see the HPV virus. So, without special HPV testing of the remaining "normal" appearing tissues, you may believe that you've removed the grossly visible cancer, leaving behind only surrounding normal tissues. When in fact these normal looking tissues harbor the HPV virus which continues to infect and transform normal tissue to cancerous tissue........essentially accounting for such stubbornly common and virulent recurrences of these cancers.

Hope these answer your friend's questions.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote