View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014   #92
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manning released

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't think the Manning release is a rebuild move. I think this is the type of move we will see in the future. We signed Lewis for depth and Clemons to be a starter. Manning was in the last year of his deal and coming off a pretty significant injury for someone of his age. It looks like a simple replacement to me. In the end, we probably got stronger at safety. We have more depth (Lewis) and we replaced a starter with another player that is younger, cheaper, and similar in skill level.

That's not to say that we aren't rebuilding, I just don't see this move as a rebuilding move.
It is an understandable perspective.

My take is not specific that cutting Manning reveals a rebuild. But rather he's yet another veteran leader being purged. The purge itself it indicative of a rebuild, not specific players in and of themselves.

Letting Manning go had as much to do with money as anything else according to all news reports.

Think about all the starters that are now gone. This is not a Kansas City Chiefs 2013 situation. O'Brien & Company are clearly looking long term, both regarding cap space and players that fit his schemes on both sides of the ball.

And I'm okay with that, as it is expected when a team gets a new head coach. Rare is the case where all a team needs is a new head coach after a 2-14 season. Like Lucky said, this team should be torn down and rebuilt after last season.