View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014   #55
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 309459 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Sideline View/Zierlein/Harris on 2014 Draft

RANKING THE TOP THREE QBS IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT: BLAKE BORTLES
Quote:
TOUGHNESS AND POISE

Blake Bortles has very good size by NFL standards (6’5/232) and he more than plays to his size from a toughness standpoint. Bortles has played in every game over the last two seasons and is a physical runner on called running plays or when he scrambles.

Defenses tended to blitz Bortles at a higher frequency of pass attempts (31.9%) than they did against Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater (29%). His completion percentage when blitzed was 64.8% which was higher than Manziel but lower than Bridgewater. Bortles’ 9.1 YPA, 7 TDs and 2 INTs when blitzed is good, but I found something more impressive...

ACCURACY (INCLUDING ON THE MOVE)

The tape tells you that Blake Bortles is behind Manziel and Bridgewater at this current time as a QB prospect and the data tends to confirm this - especially when studying his short to intermediate accuracy...

MAKES NFL THROWS

With Bortles, you have to do some projecting when watching the tape and grinding on data. Bortles has enough arm to throw the deep digs and outs and I see enough zip on his passes between the CB and S, but right now he has a tendency to sail some of those passes and his accuracy is still a work in progress on some of those throws.

Despite the fact that less than 10% of his snaps came under center, Bortles is really strong at throwing the ball on...

MOBILITY

To be honest, I was surprised at Blake Bortles relatively pedestrian...

FINAL ANALYSIS

Blake Bortles isn’t ready to be an NFL QB just yet and could have definitely benefitted from another year at UCF. However, when I watch him play, I see a QB who has areas that are “improvable”. While Manziel and Bridgewater can get better at certain aspects, I don’t see as much growth potential in their games as I see in Bortles’ game. Then again, that also means...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote