View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014   #37
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manning released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Apparently Manning was asked last week to take a pay cut, and he refused thus the Texans released him.

Not much more to say. Good luck. Good but not great player who had some injury issues. I would have liked to have kept him, but I can see why they wanted him to take a cut in pay. Clemons can do a decent job replacing him I think.

I've said all along this is a rebuild. Anyone that thinks otherwise is not living in reality.
I still think it's something different. Call it a "modern rebuild". I think they're trying to rebuild and win at the same time. We've really seen a "build" (2002-2005) and one bare-cupboard "rebuild" (2006-2009) in our time as Texans fans. this is a different kind of rebuild. There are players here. There are players here who have won here. This is an attempt to fix what's broken and start winning in a year, maybe two tops.

That's what I think. Not much to go on yet but the Texans approach so far to free agency has been intelligent, dynamic (for them), and consistent. This is kind of like the year that Manning and Joseph were signed. That year you got a feeling that the Texans were working according to a plan which felt really different from most years. They may have had a plan most years for free agency but it always felt like it was a stupid plan or a very short-sighted plan. Grabbing guys who were over the hill, paying too much for too little (basically the Ed Reed deal is the perfect example of that).

The year we brought in Joseph and Manning you got the feeling that the Texans were doing things the smart way. This year feels like that. Good moves in free agency. Nothing stinking of desperation for a change. Getting something for Schaub was smart. Letting Manning go when they couldn't make a deal to restructure was smart.

Feels like the new era that it is. Makes it easier to enjoy being a fan of the team when you don't feel like they're wandering around blindfolded in a minefield taking directions from the other GM's.