View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alcoholism, bankruptcy and the unhappy story of Leigh Steinberg, former NFL agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Why do people find such great amusement and even glory in things like what Charlie Sheen does (reckless, senseless partying...as a daily lifestyle)?

Why do guys like him get a pass? Air time on TV shows?

Here a guy like Steinberg has tried that route and apparently it's not all it's cracked up to be. A lot of this is our culture. We're being told that fame breeds success and you can skip all the steps that hardworking "schmucks" have to go through to earn success.

Reminds me of the scene in Goodfellas when Ray Liotta's character, Henry, says (narrates) "We loved the life of being a wise guy. We were called wise guys because it was the life, and nobody wanted to be some schmuck working a regular job..." I'm paraphrasing, but you remember the speech I'm talking about.

We have people whose unemployment has expired and so they're filing for disability. Where does this level of "I give up, it's no use" come from? IMO, it comes from rhetoric that says America is evil and it's systems are evil, and you have NO CHANCE to succeed here. Meanwhile, immigrants come to this country--escaping TRUE evil found in their original homeland--and they have hardly any money in their pockets when they get here...and they end up paying the bills, sending their kid to college, and they live the American life just fine.

Sorry to be ranting, but the state of America apparently sucks ONLY IF you are born here and are charged with the responsibility and "challenge" of making your own success here. In this case, you have NO chance to succeed, the system is against you, and so your best bet is to make a YouTube video or participate in Occupy rallies.

Others who immigrate here are finding ways to work their way up the ladder and establish their own success here.

People like Steinberg quietly squander their talents and forget the keys to their success, but guys like Charile Sheen are OVERTLY flaunting their failures and in a lot of circles it's held up as a virtue or some sort of awesome expression. But in both cases, it's indicative (IMO) of a culture that says things should be handed to us...and when the going gets rough, just say "Eff it" and soak in your own misery. Sometimes, when I get on this train of thought, it makes me understand (not "excuse," but merely "understand") why some 3rd World countries have people who despise our country and what it is...we're the wealthiest nation, as a whole, and we're like petulant babies who **** themselves from birth to age 90 without ever learning how to go to the potty or get our own food. That's going to tend to wear some people out over time.
People love to watch trainwrecks...while you cringe & watch someone destroy themselves, you can't turn away either..especially if it's on a national stage & that person's had it all at 1 point. Apart from that, you feel less apathy for folks with tons of money in the bank than you would for someone who never had anything doing the same things.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote