View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014   #955
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I understand the concept, I just disagree with it. To me giving up on a player who will almost certainly start and may be a star is too high a price for an "acceptable risk" QB whose greatest redeeming quality is that the QBs who will be taken in front of him (which by the way means there still is a drop off) aren't much better. The reasons for drafting a player should be about that player more than the lack of talent at his position.

One player who might be an exception is Murray who would probably rank significantly higher but for his height and knee injury. If you think he is a 1st round talent who is slipping to the 4th and are not as concerned about his height then that's the kind of thing that makes for an acceptable risk to me. That's a value move IMO.

* One of the reasons I liked Mallett when he was being discussed was he was a similar value pick - a 1st round talent who fell because of off field conduct concerns.
I agree with this. I also wouldn't be surprised if the 32 teams don't all have the same three guys at the top of the QB rankings. Someone out there has Murray at #1, some of them have Mettenberger at #1. It's no secret that I have McCarron as the #1 QB in this draft.

You mentioned Mallet, Belichick said they thought he was the #1 QB in that draft... may have been coach speak, may have been that he made his list knowing full well which QBs would be available to him.

There's too many ways to look at it. But bottom line, just because the internet says Bridgewater, Manziel, & Bortles are the best QB prospects in this draft, doesn't mean the 32 teams that will be picking QBs agree. If I thought Tom Savage was the best QB in this draft, I'd be excited that no one is even talking about him & I may be able to get him as late as the 5th round.