View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alcoholism, bankruptcy and the unhappy story of Leigh Steinberg, former NFL agent

This is so Jerry Maguire all over again...
Quote:
For better or worse, SMU quarterback Garrett Gilbert is now attached at the hip to former NFL “superagent” Leigh Steinberg as both try to complete comebacks.

Steinberg, who is credited as the real-life inspiration for the sports agent from the movie Jerry Maguire, was in Dallas on Friday to watch Gilbert throw in front of NFL scouts during SMU’s pro day.

Gilbert transferred to SMU from Texas, and over the last year and a half has excelled with the Mustangs. But he wasn’t invited to the NFL combine in February and, before Friday, was thought to be a player who would go undrafted in May. He’s the only player represented by Steinberg.

Steinberg, who turned 65 on Thursday, has had a fall from grace since he represented some of the NFL’s top quarterbacks, including Hall of Famers Troy Aikman and Steve Young.

Just last week, Steinberg celebrated four years of sobriety. The recovering alcoholic filed for bankruptcy in 2012 as he watched his empire crumble before recertifying as an NFL agent last October.

Steinberg, who has represented the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft a record eight times, is trying to restart his career after what he called a “three-year downward spiral” with alcohol.

“When I crashed with alcohol, I put everything else aside,” Steinberg said. “The world never went away from me. I went away from the world.”

Gilbert helped put himself and Steinberg back into the spotlight Friday with a stellar performance in front of scouts from 25 NFL teams, including quarterbacks coaches from the Cowboys, Philadelphia and Baltimore.
For Steinberg, he’s now come full circle in his 40-year career. A California quarterback named Steve Bartkowski launched his career as the No. 1 pick in the 1975 NFL draft. Almost four decades later, Gilbert, the son of a California quarterback (Gale Gilbert), hired him as his agent. Gale played eight seasons in the NFL and was also represented by Steinberg.
“It feels like coming home,” Steinberg said. “This is how I started, a big, blue-eyed blond quarterback from Cal, which a team can build around, and this is Garrett’s chance.
Gilbert said from his first meeting with Steinberg that he always felt like the agent believed in him.

“We’re sort of in this partnership. He’s in a bit of a comeback, too, right now,” Gilbert said, “and we’re depending on each other in terms of both of our careers.”
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...mu-pro-day.ece
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote