View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014   #1302
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Bill O'Brien as HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick II Draw View Post
Copyright = original work of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression (i.e., literature, art, music). It's pretty straightforward and vests automatically, no lawyer required. There can be no copyright in "Johnny Football" because it is not an "original work of authorship."

Trademark= identifier of the source of goods (i.e., word, phrase, symbol, design). This is much more nuanced than copyright.

The story of the "Johnny Football" trademark is fairly interesting:
And his trying to control the "Johnny Football" trademark does not make him some greedy guy who puts fame over football; it's just the smart thing to do.

Oh, but I'm not saying he ISN'T an obnoxious fame-monger whose game won't translate to the NFL. Hope the Texans don't touch him with a 10-foot pole.
Thanks for the distinction. Many of the articles I've read to date have used the term "copyright" interchangeably......confused me.

BTW, from what I've read in the past few days, the Reynolds family still have a few options of appeal before their application is officially dead and Manziel can again pursue the trademark?
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote