View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014   #186
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 145588 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

i havent read most of the thread so forgive me if i missed a crucial argument. i've also had a whiskey or few so this might ramble a bit.

i don't think we're rebuilding at all. we frankly have way too much talent to call it a rebuild. last year we had the worst record in football, and it took some serious fail to be worse than the "i bet they go winless" jaguars. i blame 90% of it on ed reed and to an extent bob mcnair, because there had never been a hint of locker room dissent until the moment reed arrived. kubiak caught a lot of hell in his time here, much of it deserved, but there was never a question of the players being together on the same page and giving 100% - something changed in 2013 and call me crazy but i can point to one "leader" with the label of cancer that happened (with too much support from the top). schaub and andre arguing, rookies mouthing off and screwing up, an offensive line that crapped it's pants and more ... these are things that kubiak had firmly in line until his authority was given away.

regardless, we have talent all over the place. we had 8 probowlers in 2012, have all-pros at key positions, and for what it's worth we have arguably the single best player in the game on our team. watt, cushing, jackson, joseph, and manning are great to spectacular players. brown, myers, foster and andre are top of their positions. hopkins and brooks are young and climbing fast.

we have some elite talent, trouble is we have a gigantic dropoff from that talent to the next tier. duane brown is an all-pro, derrick newton should be struggling to make a roster. brian cushing is one of the greats (when he's on the field) and we put random minimum salaries next to him. watt and ninja - with nobody at nose or outside (despite our draft efforts). kareem and joseph with no one behind them. schaub was really good but couldnt maintain after injury, while yates hadnt progressed, and his "heir" (maybe) needed another year of seasoning. the dropoff from probowlers to nobodies was too dramatic to hold for long with the injuries, and didnt stand a chance when the locker room imploded.

so to that i wouldn't call us rebuilding at all. i'd say we're correcting. there are loyalty issues (keo, newton, etc) that need to be fixed by someone without an ego regarding these should-be fringe players. there are better potentials on the roster that we havent really seen yet such as quess, griffin, t williams and even mercilus as a pure pass rusher. fill the major holes, give the head coach the iron fist he needs (which it appears o'brien has), and we're back to 2012 where we comfortably make the dance and hope for the best.

Last edited by Scooter; 03-24-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Scooter is online now   Reply With Quote