Thread: Manziel
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014   #2746
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN's Merrill Hodge says Manziel has "Bust" written all over him

Quote:
ACCURACY (INCLUDING ON THE MOVE)

I’ve heard questions about whether or not Manziel can beat a team from the pocket and to do that, he has to prove that he is accurate. Was he accurate from the pocket in college? Yes. Yes he was.

When Manziel threw from the pocket, he complete 73.6% of his passes for 3,429 yards, 9.95 ypa and 27 TDs. Can Manziel scramble and hurt you with his feet? Absolutely, but to assume that his passing game primarily revolved around scrambling and making passing outside the pocket would be a mistake.

NFL QBs must be accurate on the short to intermediate throws, and Manziel was just that. I went back and researched his throws from 6 - 15 yards and Manziel completed 65.7% of those passes including 66% on his intermediate sideline throws. The one area of concern, however, was that Manziel had 7 INTs on his 111 throws from this range.

MAKES NFL THROWS

This is one of the areas that some evaluators believe Manziel could struggle with on the next level. It isn’t necessarily the arm strength that is the knock here, it is the feel and the anticipation that tends to get him knocked. I’ve seen some of the anticipation issues with my own eyes as Manziel has waited for a window to come open rather than throwing to a spot. Is this coachable? It can be.

I also believe that many NFL offensive coaches are much more flexible than in the past and understand how to tailor offenses around what a QB does well rather than asking them to fit into “the norm” as we’ve seen in the past.

Of Manziel’s 37 TD passes this year, only 10 came from behind the line of scrimmage to five yards down the field - the classic dump and dash that we see in college. According to the STATS Ice data, Manziel had 27 TDs passes beyond 6 yards including 12 that were for 16+ yards.
More at the link.
http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...johnny-manziel