View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014   #136
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Of course he signed to be the starter at the beginning of the season - that`s why he got that kinda money. We probably will draft a QB, but our plan is probably to let him sit and learn at the beginning.

I am alright with this signing - the money is on the high side, but it looks like we weren`t gonna spend big in FA anyways. I do believe we "want" to have another sucky year with another high draft pick, and then spending big in FA the year after that. It is not what I would`ve done, but I can`t really argue with it either.
I like the signing. I don't think it is a bad idea to let Fitz start. History has shown that giving the rookie his time is more beneficial in the long run. We've seen Chandler/McNair, Favre/Rodgers, Flutie/Brees.
Besides, Fitzpatrick's resume has shown that he eventually starts anyhow and is not content with sitting the bench. This means even if he doesn't start, he's going to push the hell out of the starter.

On top of that, it really allows the Texans an opportunity to do a lot with that first pick. Say you go with Clowney, now you can get a 2nd round QB and not feel you have to start him right away. Or you can still get that #1 QB and still not feel you have to start him right away.

Our team didn't get worse with this signing. They got better. Despite how marginally better it may be.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote