View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Would you sign off on keeping Matt Schaub if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
You're misunderstanding that column. It presumes the contract is in place through that year. Therefore, 2015 presumes $13.5M in salary and roster bonus plus $3.5M prorated signing bonus for a total of $17M and 2016 presumes 15.5M in salary and roster bonus plus $3.5 M in prorated signing bonus for a total of $19M. Earlier Cuts reduce the amount in that column by the accelerated accounting for the signing bonus depending on the type of cut.
I'm not misunderstanding it, that's how I see it. According to overthecap we currently have $27M available of the 2015 cap. If we cut Schaub & account for all the dead money in 2014, that number goes up by $17M, we won't have to pay his salary, any roster bonus, or the signing bonus allocation.

Cutting Schaub & eating all the dead money in 2014 frees up $17M of our 2015 cap & $19M of our 2016 cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Now increases to the Cap Limit do not affect the amount of cap savings by Schaub's contract, it does affect the management of the cap space by reducing the need to get under the cap.
That's what I said.

People think we're cap strapped & have to clear all of Matt's future allocations, that's not true. If we thought we would need $50M to do whatever we thought we needed to do in 2015, & cutting Matt Schaub to clear that $17M off our books was going to get us there, we can now do the same thing by making him a June 1st cut saving $7M with the extra $10M we got from the Thursday night TV deal.

$17M is $17M doesn't really matter where it came from.

Would it be better to have $60M... sure. But if you thought we were in good shape with $50M, how can we be worse off with the same $50M + the best QB available in FA?

I understand people want to get away from Matt Schaub, but to go from Schaub to Sanchez, or Vick, or Matt McGloin isn't about "cap management" it's about hate.

We wanted to cut Matt Schaub this year to save $4M ($3.9m). The NFL just gave us $10M so that's not necessary anymore.

In this thread, I suggest you also get the QB you want in the draft & still "it makes more sense" to cut Schaub? I don't think so.

You've got your cap space, you've got you QB of the future, you can't name a better replacement for Schaub & you still want him gone?? (I don't mean you specifically)... something other than "what's best for the team" is guiding your decision making. Some folks are being honest about it & that's cool. Some guys are hiding behind whatever.... so whatever.