View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014   #95
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335888 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I don`t think it is wrong to have 10 players taking up close to 2/3ds of our salary. The problem is these players underperforming or being injured and other players not being adequate at least. I actually believe that most teams have a similar salary structure (with a couple of big time players taking up most of the salary cap, and the rest of the team are players on their rookie salary and cheap signings).
You are correct. The Texans are not grossly top heavy compared to teams with non-rookie contract QBs. Top 7 cap hits combined:

Texans $71

Patriots $67
Ravens $70
Steelers $70
Packers $65
Saints $65
Broncos $68
Giants $68

What is unusual is AJ and not because of what he is being paid but because of how much money has been pushed into this year in contract restructure accounting.* If his bonus money accounting were more normal the Texans would be right at mid pack with about $68.

* If you want to see an egregious example, Larry Fitzgerald's cap hit next year is $23.6 mil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Who's to say? No one and I mean no one thought the 2013 Texans would be the worst team in the league. Is it likely the Texans contend? No, its unlikely. Especially not knowing who the get at QB and what they can get out of him. But I've seen too many crazy things happen in the NFL to make a blanket statement that a team won't contend. A lot crazier than the 2014 Texans becoming a contender.
Yup. The Texans had a very uncharacteristic drop. They could also have an uncharacteristic bounce. Especially since the chief cause of the drop is one position imploding.